Project developed through Sustainable Management of Native Forest to offset Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) in order to neutralize its Carbon Footprint by 2030.
Location: NOA Region (Yungas – Chaco Salteño).
Duration: 10 years. Scalable according to metrics obtained.
Global context: The degradation and deforestation of the world’s native forests are cumulatively responsible for approximately 10% of global net carbon emissions. Addressing the destruction of these forests is at the core of any concerted effort to combat Climate Change.
Local context: Argentina is one of the countries with the highest rates of deforestation in the world. Between 1990 and 2014, 7.3 million hectares of native forest were lost in the country, with the northern region being the most affected. This is also the least developed region in the country with high rates of poverty, poor nutrition and illiteracy, especially in areas with rural populations.
• Preserve and reconstitute Native Forests using technologies and processes adapted to the characteristics of the local ecosystem to increase the carbon stock.
• Promote socio-economic development with the generation of labor by valuing the ecosystem services of the Forest.
• Increase the productivity of degraded environments, through agroforestry systems and Forest Management with Integrated Livestock.
• The main impact will be given by the capacity of the project to fix CO2 and thus contribute to the mitigation of Climate Change.
• Protection of degraded soils promoting their recovery.
• Improvement in water quality.
• Conservation of biodiversity: protection of animal species in danger of extinction.
• Economic paradigm shift: income from ecosystem services.
• Generation of local knowledge through local universities in the preparation of reports, monitoring and research plans.
• Generation of new complementary activities in services, added value (regional products, handicrafts, etc.), and cultural activities.
• Gender Inclusion.
|Location||Province of Salta (Chaco Salteño) and Province of Jujuy (Yungas).|
|Potential mitigation||116.360 tn CO2 in 10 years (11 tn CO2 / ha / year)|
|Baseline of the project||High deforestation and advance of the agricultural frontier, loss of biodiversity and impoverishment of local communities.|
|Long-term sustainability||Strategic alliances with local stakeholders and agreements with landowners, public entities and investors.|
|Certifications||To be defined (VCS, Gold Standard).|